About Me

My photo
Lesley Custodio is a Licensed Acupuncturist in San Diego, CA. Feel Well Acupuncture is where the healing happens for her clients and she loves sharing health tips, recipes, and simple inspiration to help them live happy and healthy!

Sunday, February 14, 2016

No-Bake Chocolate Power Bites

I'm all about healthy snacking and I've been wanting make these no-bake protein power bites for a while.  They're awesome because I can still get my chocolate fix without sacrificing nutrition.  As a base, I used gluten-free oats and my favorite superfoods powder that's power packed with a lot of my favorite Chinese Herbs, fruits, veggies, and even probiotics. To bring it all together, I used peanut butter and maple syrup, then coated them with hemp, chia, and sesame seeds for more health benefits.This recipe is totally customizable: you can use honey instead of the maple syrup.  Or add some chopped nuts or even shredded coconut.  The possibilities are endless!

If you're like me and want to get healthy and stay healthy, I've got more snacking tips for you:

1.  Plan ahead - 
If you know you have a long day ahead of you, pack your meals and your snacks so you don't make a poor decision when you get hungry.  A couple healthy snacks you can try:

  • Nuts like almonds, walnuts or pistachios
  • Pre-cut veggies (carrots, celery, zucchini, or cucumber) with hummus
  • Pre-cut fruits (apples, pears, etc.) with peanut butter
  • Portable fruit - bananas, blueberries, raspberries, or tangerines
2.  Stay hydrated - 
Our bodies are made up of water and when you start to feel hungry, it's usually because you're actually thirsty.  Avoid coffee, sugary, alcohol and caffeinated drinks.  Room temperature water is best because it helps optimize your digestion.  Warm water with lemon in the morning helps alkalize your body.  You can try labeling a bottle with lines to mark your progress through the day.  

3.  Listen to your body - 
Get familiar with your body's signals that it's time to eat again.  It's often more than just a grumble in your belly.  You may notice yourself getting more irritable, tired, or even shaky. When eating, take small bites and chew slowly and pay attention to the filling sensation in your belly.  If you start feeling full, slow down and take a break so you don't overeat.  

4.  Want to take it a step further?  
Take part in one of my online fitness challenges!  I'll provide you with the support and accountability you need, workouts you can do at home or at the gym, meal plans and recipes that will get you to your goals.  As always, my coaching and support is FREE when you enroll in a challenge!  Plus, if you combine acupuncture with your nutrition and fitness plan, you'll have even more benefit.

Get fit, eat well, and feel well with me! Want to get started? - email me at lesley@feelwellacupuncture.com

Enjoy!  

No-Bake Chocolate Power Bites

1 cup gluten-free oats (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 scoop of my favorite chocolate superfoods powder
1/2 cup maple syrup (can add more if it is still a little dry)
1/2 cup peanut butter
Optional toppings:  
1 tsp each of hemp seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, or coconut

Instructions
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.  Take a small handful and roll into a small bite-sized balls. Roll in your choice of toppings. Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment